Taking a childbirth class is an important task when preparing for the birth of your baby. Learning the stages of labor, breathing and relaxation techniques, pain management options, and birthing interventions will provide you with the necessary knowledge to be prepared for your birthing experience.
Traditionally, birthing classes have been taken in-person either in a group setting or privately. While in-person learning is optimal, it is not for everyone. For example, mothers on bedrest, busy working families, and expecting parents that do not live near an instructor-led class could all benefit from online childbirth classes.
Online childbirth classes are great because:
- All you need is a computer and internet connection to access your class.
- You can prepare for your labor, delivery, and postpartum experience from the comfort of your home, on your time, and at your pace.
- You and your spouse can review important key topics.
- The private setting allows for you to ask your instructor questions that you might not want to ask in front of a group of people.
- You can save money! Many in-person classes can cost as much as $250, if not more. Depending on the childbirth class, online classes range from $75 - $150 and you can have more than one birth coach take the class with you without extra charges!
- You can take restroom breaks without worrying that you are missing important information.
- Some online childbirth classes provide handouts that can be printed to use for reference later.
- And best of all, you can review the content for months to come…not just once.
With online childbirth classes, now every expecting parent has access to reliable, evidence-based information about their upcoming childbirth experience.
Author : Diba Tillery RN, BSN, IBCLC, CPST